Wednesday 5 October 2011

Growing Aspley

Aspley is a small community on the edge of the Newsome Ward and the housing is a mix of Council and Chevin tenancies. Now they have six new raised beds for growing herbs and vegetables and the tenants I have spoken to are really pleased to have them and they are looking forward to getting stuck into growing stuff there. I must admit I was a bit sceptical about a similar raised bed scheme that started last year at the other end of the ward at Berry Brow flats but I'm happy to be proved wrong and the raised beds are now fully subscribed there by tenants and there's a waiting list. Growing projects in Newsome are going from strength to strength and the Stirley Farm project is linking well with Growing Newsome and wider community enthusiasm for food growing.

For my own part 100 winter onions will be going into our allotment shortly (only £2 for 50 onion sets from Wilkinsons)

No comments:

Post a Comment