Can Mr Burns Williamson claim in mitigation that he made everyone aware of his intentions well in advance? I submit Exhibit A, a Labour Party Election leaflet recovered from a gutter in Newsome and forensically reconstructed. It states here in his 5 pledges that he will:
- Stand against the Tories 20% cuts to policing
- Keep police on the beat with neighbourhood policing
- Guarantee response to anti social behaviour within 24 hours
- work in partnership with local people and local organisations to tackle and prevent crime
- Protect the police from political interference. our candidate has signed a pledge to respect the independence of the police
So what's missing? 'I pledge to employ one of my Labour Party colleagues up to £56k to be Robin to my Batman in our fight against West Yorkshire crime'. No that was definitely not on this election statement. Guilty as charged.