Sunday 28 August 2011

Green Hols

A photo from my walk along the Pembrokeshire coast
Just got back off my hols in Pembrokeshire, Wales. A good time was had by all and I got a couple of days  walking in adding another 22 miles to my tally on the Pembrokeshire Coastal Path. It was a 'green' holiday too with the cottage we rented being heated with a wood burning stove and hot water provided by solar thermal panels (very reminiscent of home really). We also got some time under canvas at the Cambridge Folk Festival where my wood gasification stove saw some action. One of the great things about the Folk Festival is that they insist on wooden cutlery rather than plastic at the takeaways. So collecting these and burning them in my stove helps cook our bacon sandwiches in the morning. Okay I know it should be a free range organic egg and mushroom sandwich on homemade wholemeal bread but then no ones perfect! One of the real advantages is you don't need to buy propane or butane canisters just the occasional AA battery for the fan. It also saw action at the AGC Conference where I camped in Norwich. Anyhow heres a vid demonstrating how wood gas stoves work followed by a vid by the band Katzenjammer from Norway who played at Cambridge this year.


1 comment:

  1. Ho Ho ! Nah! I drunk Brown Ale at Cambridge shortly before taking my whippet to run at the local dog track.It must be inbred in me from the long line of South Yorkshire coal miners I come from.

    ReplyDelete